Thursday, 13 February 2014

Job #7 - Fixing the leaks....

I've made a start on eliminating drips..  I suspect this will be a little like painting the Forth Bridge.. never ending... but you have to start somewhere.. 

A couple of months ago, I read a very (very) interesting article on one of the sailing web sites about using butyl tape as a sealing mechanism ...

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/rebedding_hardware [clicky]

In summary, don't use silicon sealants to set deck fittings as the silicon is a major pain to clean at a later date, and is also really messy..  he recommended using butyl tape (used in the glazing industry) so I went and bought myself some from eBay..  £5 got me 12 metres tape, which I can only describe as being like a sticky, extra thick blue tac...

Having read the article a couple of times I thought I'd start with a deck fitting I know is leaking, a cleat on the cabin top...

One layer of tape across the bottom of the fitting, well wrapped around the bolts - pushed into place - screw driver to hold the bolts while I tightened them from the inside... as you tighten it down the butyl squeezes into every hole... 


I know this was working as the butyl was coming through above the nut..

Cleaned up and we were done...  fairly confidant the job's a good'un...  and the tape is very easy to use..


No mess, no sticky fingers, no smell..  recommended...

No comments:

Post a Comment