Thursday 13 March 2014

Job #12-8 (Deck plug) and Job #5 (Hatch covers) .. completed

Another excellent Sunday basking in the sunshine and finishing off a few more jobs... 

After the cockpit drain hoses were re-bedded and sealed (see previous post [clicky]) I move on to the other jobs - it was a toss up between rubbing down the nose ready for the repair and some other tasks but in the end with a nice dry day I went for the paint brush and gave all three hatches another two coats of Homebase own brand "masonry paint" - I gave them a coat last summer [clicky] and was really pleased with how well they stood up to wear and tear...   job done, it was time to sit back and enjoy a pint of the freshest Ringwood "Best" I've had in some time along with a cigar...  bliss!

Next up was the through deck plug for the masthead light - I had had the mast rewired as part of the standing rigging replace last winter, and rather than putting on the old plug they'd put on a new one which was subtly different to the old one that the (new) plug no longer fitted the (old) deck socket

Old socket - two equal sized pins - new plug is two pin with one pin bigger than the other....


Socket removed - gasket was in good condition so I decided to re-use after cleaning up


Small smear of frame sealant (probably not needed but why not), and new plug now installed ready for when I get round to putting wiring in...  I decided to keep the old (copper?? brass?) cover as it was nicer than the more modern cheap plastic one that came with the new plug, and more robust...


Other than a couple of coats of anti-foul (which my sister tells me she has sourced (Dark Blue/erodible/Tiger Extra) to all intents and purposes she's good to go back in - everything I do now is just extra jam on the toast...

No comments:

Post a Comment