Tuesday 16 February 2016

Job #13 - sail cover velcro replace - I have a cunning plan...

So - after 20 minutes I had managed to sew one side of one tape, and I had sore fingers, and I was scrabbling around for a thimble... "sod this for a game of soldiers", quoth I... 😁

At that rate it would take me 8 hours to finish the sewing so a new plan was required, and then, like a bolt of lightning to the cerebellum I had an idea....

Bottom line, an order has gone in for 4mm aluminium pop rivets, and also 4mm aluminium pop rivet washers - brad awl to make the hole, washer, rivet, and washer on the other side, crimp and the job should be a good'un... stay tuned for the results of the experiment, but it should certainly be quicker....

4 comments:

  1. I am intrigued as to what you are actually doing ( A picture is worth a thousand words !) - whatever it is it sounds as if it will be bullet proof!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll get a picture when the parts arrive and I can put together.... but imagine if you will, a sandwich comprising two layers of webbing (holding the buckle in a loop), a layer of sail cover, and then top and bottom, a washer, with the pop rivet through the middle of them and holding the sandwich together.... it would be far easier to take the cover to a local sail maker and ask them to sew it, but this solution is only costing pennies, that would cost pounds...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used www.ptwinchester.co.uk 'sew on' plastic hooks and eyes. Used a vintage Singer sewing machine to sew them on. Easy to do and no metal bits to corrode or scratch or mark the boom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Peter - apologies for not replying sooner, your comment went into a moderation folder and I only just found it! Thanks for the heads up.. too thick for a domestic sewing machine my ma in law advises.. pop rivets and washers worked well though so I'm content

      Delete