Tuesday 18 June 2013

More fettling...

There were late tides last weekend (15th and 16th), but although it was lovely and sunny, Cambermet shows it as Force 6 gusting 7 on Saturday, so I had some hopes for Sunday instead...

When I got to the boat it was grey and spitting - not very enticing so i decided to get on with some more work on the boat...  finished hanging the curtains, unpacked a large crate of  "rubbish" I had bought with me from Papillon, but more importantly I spent some time offering up an enhancement for fit...

Enhancement....?! 

Yeah, I've been bodging in the garage again...

This was made from an old pine shelf and has a dual function - the primary role is as a foot stand to allow me to work at the bottom of the mast - I had a couple of these on my last boat and they are worth their weight in gold as it means I can stand on it in the companion way (so safe), but far further forward in the cabin so that I can work at the mast far more easily - for either roller boom reefing, or (at the moment) raising/lowering the main... gives me a foot and a half of height/reach...

Definitely...!

Second use is as a table for when I'm in the cabin - in fact, if I made it with a bigger surface this would make a handy chart table - I could put some pen/compass holders on the sides...  next version.... either way, it worked well in both modes so has been taken home for a final couple of coats of bathroom paint..

Sods Law of course that by the time I'd done all that the sun had come out and it was ideal sailing conditions but too late....  ah well - sat in the cockpit, cold Coke, sunshine, chatting to fellow mooring'ites doing much the same as me... not much better ways to spend the afternoon...

Langstone Cutters were out..  looking good...
So - what's next?
  1. If the weather perks up a crafty day out of work to go sailing later this week
  2. I have had a quote from Emsworth Yacht Harbour to have all the standing rigging done and have told them I'd like to proceed - very exciting, just waiting on a date....

No comments:

Post a Comment