Posts

Showing posts from October, 2014

Out!

Image
So the morning of the lift out dawned grey, damp and chilly - albeit dry for the time being...

Popped into Wilkes (other large anonymous DIY supermarkets are available) and picked up a couple of large fence posts for Sparrow to spend the winter sitting on - I was going to go railway type sleepers, but thought it was overkill. Also got hacksaw blades for a different job I had in mind....

Got down to the club at about 10:30 (HT 14:30), checked I was on the list for the day (yes there actually is one, but to paraphrase the words of Helmuth von Moltke the Elder, I'm not sure it ever survives the first boat ashore... ), and then headed for the boat, stopping for a quick chat to arrange with "Coral" Paul getting his mast down...

Once on the boat I winched up the mooring so I could get to my mooring strop/chain - as I suspected the shackle attaching swivel and chain to buoy had rusted solid, but I didn't want to leave the chain/swivel etc on the mooring all winter so 20 mi…

Job #19 - Genoa sheet cam-cleats

Image
Never too early to start ...  just bought two of these.. 


They didn't cost that much by the way......

...gone!

Image
...so where we left off last week we were in the current position....


...picked up Rod the Mod at the slipway on a quite astonishingly good morning - flat as a flat thing, sunny, warm.. perfect mast dropping conditions...

Checklist:
Forward lowers disconnected, put a couple of small shackles on the freed up chain plates to make it easier to attach the A frame legs...Attached A frame legs to shackles, double checked jib halyard was firmly attached at apexLet off some slack in the backstayMain sheet attached to stem fitting and then underneath of the A frame apex - put some download on (at this point mainsheet/frame/jib halyard become the new "fore-stay")Loosened off cap shrouds and rear lowersChecked around to make sure all good and then detached fore-stay from stem fittingEased off top bolt and undid/removed bottom bolt on mast/tabernacleRod put some load on the back stay and I cracked a few inches on the mainsheet and the mast started to go..Eased off slowly while Rod guide…

Going... going...

Image
Sorely tempted to go sailing, but yesterday afternoon was devoted to getting the boat ready for a mast drop - possibly this weekend - but the way the forecast is shaping up probably another time...

First job was to get the jib genoa off, and as I'd bought the A frame with me, deploy that as well - all done...

A frame sits outside the roller furling/forestay so that the furler can be lowered safely to the deck as the mast is lowered... the A frame legs are secured to the chain plates - I have them on the centre ones (the uppers) at the moment, but on the day I'll shift them to the forward lowers as it pushes the frame forward about half a foot...


The new halyard diverter I fitted last year worked a treat - it was obvious where the halyard had sat in the eye strap, but unlike last year no physical damage to the rope - chuffed with that...

Next job was the mainsail - all done and contents wrapped within sail cover - this year I took the decision to take it all ashore as last ye…