Posts

Showing posts from March, 2015

More ticks than a mangy dog...

Image
...but in this case off the job list though, and stuff I can do at home in the evenings and after work..

Job #23 - life jacket service - completed ..  gas bottles weighed (same weight as last year), screwed back in and checked firm - trigger mechanisms checked - inflated for 24 hours and all OK afterwards. Now re-packed and ready for the new season..

Job #22 - push pit board refurbishment - started - not a pretty sight to begin with..


I slapped a quick coat of varnish on these at the beginning of last season but the damage had already been done to be honest..


I've now given them a sanding within an inch of their life, and the coats of exterior wood stain are going on as we speak (one each side so far - three should do it); it won't cover the blemishes, but it should protect them.. 

Job #11 - item 3 VHF antenna  aerial - arrived this week; I know the range will be less, but the mast is only 20 odd foot and I like the idea of the aerial being readily available so the spot on…

Good progress.... Job #5 - Paint cabin / Job #8 - Washboards / Job #19 - Jammers / Job #9 - Hatch covers

Image
Man it was a good weekend....  lots of progress being made, including on the two "biggies" this winter..

So without further ado - job #5 "Painting the cabin" is done...  finished fairly early on Friday and as it was nice and sunny and I had no need to rush home I slipped down to the club and put the second coat on - job officially finished...  looks oodles better, and all the nicer for not expecting to be able to do this one this winter - blame the weather a couple of weeks ago - far more conducive to being inside painting, than outside painting...



....and the other side (next) finished a couple of weeks ago - I've left the bolt heads exposed (grab rails/windows/deck cleats) as there is nothing worse than having to remove something bolted down, where some numpty has painted over the thread... 


Apologies for the pictures in this post by the way - phone camera...

On Sunday, with the sun still shining it was on to other items - started by putting on another co…

Job #5 - Paint cabin / Job #8 - Washboards / Job #17 - Outboard / Job #22 - Pushpit board

Image
Cold wet grey and miserable with a brisk breeze round the trossocks, but progress is being made... (if I had a lottery win I'd put Sparrow in a heated factory unit for the winter, but I haven't, so tough....    )

First order of the day when arriving was to get a swift first coat on to the bottom washboard (needed to be touch dry before I left) - the following is from last season (didn't have my camera with me yesterday) and the culprit is the bottom board. The paint has flaked badly in the 18 months since this was taken exposing at least a third of the wood to the elements...  it's been dry'ish the last few weeks so I decided to get on with it.  Scraped off the loose with a paint scraper, sanded down the rest, and managed to get the first coat on and drying while I got on with other stuff - I plan on at least three coats - maybe more..


Once that was done - and with signs of incipient rain - I decided to move to the cabin to complete the paint job - apologies for t…

Purchases for the new season....

Image
Marked as dispatched within about 15 minutes of ordering - not bad service! 


...and with little chance that I'm going to break the back of my electrical installation this winter (or even start it!) I was looking for a way of quickly and simply boosting the range of my hand held VHF...  first step is one of these...  this screws onto the stub aerial socket of the hand held and presents as a standard BNC/coax type socket..  all I need now is a standard VHF aerial, which can either go up the mast (ready for the proper VHF), or more likely, mounted on the push-pit board for the time being...


Job #10 - Cockpit locker hinges - completed

Image
Another weekend gone..

I'd been gagging at the bit to get down on the Saturday, which was the warmer and sunnier of the two days, but family commitments wouldn't allow, so I had to settle for the considerably colder and windier Sunday. It was still a damn good three hours spent down there though, before being summoned back..

During the week before I'd taken delivery of some new hinges, and this weekend I was determined to bite the bullet and actually drill some holes in the boat to make sure they fitted/worked... not sure about anyone else but I'm very reticent about drilling holes!
Test fitted first side, single bolt to hold the hinge to the coaming (easier to fix/fill a single hole in the event they didn't work )..  Happily, they worked perfectly..


Single bolt to hold the tang - I'll leave the other hole as is, or find a screw to act as a cosmetic filler as the hole is right over the lip of the hatch..


Top dog!


So pushed on, and completed both sides..  all …

More slow and tentative steps forward....

Image
43 days to go...  every year I wonder why I put that buggering countdown timer over there on the left..

Some further small and tentative steps - last weekend was a washout from a work on the boat point of view but despite that there has been a little progress...

A second coat has been applied to the half of the cabin I did that wet and windy Sunday - that side's done now - also the cockpit hatch - just need to do the other side (which is smaller/less complicated)..

Despite the excellent suggestions, I've also decided to stick with hinges for the cockpit lids and have found some - just waiting to fix them...

This is on the way.......



...must stay focussed!!