Thursday 22 August 2013

Bosham or bust...

...bust actually...  😏

Took the day off especially for a day on the water - with a 13:00 HT and a huge tide (5mtrs) I had the option of an all day sail on one tide so was aiming to do Bosham and back in a day..

We had easterlys today, an unusual direction, but good for fast transits north and south so I was very optimistic...

Cast off, headed for the channel, passed Northney, main up, motor sailing for the main channel and the engine died...  BUGGER...  fuel tank - check, fuel on - check, pull starter - no go, choke try again - no go...  double bugger....  gave up.

Dropped the main, scraped round the end of the bank opposite Northney marina entrance, 2 or 3 knots of tide under me so fast, worrying conditions - if I missed the mooring life was going to be difficult!

Decided to cut through the moorings from before where I normally turn  - was worried about depth, but more worried about beating back to the mooring.....  either way, hit the mooring (not literally) exactly where I wanted to, and 10 minutes later I was tied up and drinking coffee....

Took the engine into the maintenance guy I use, and mentioned that I'd smelt fuel so clearly it was getting through (flooded I thought), I'd also taken the plug out and told him that the end looked carbonated, brown and 'disgusting' (so he knew he was dealing with a mechanical numpty.... as if he didn't know already..!)

Anyway - didn't start for him either (which is a relief - last time I took a non-starter to him it started first bl**dy time) so he used some spray carb cleaner into the air inlet - but still no go - he then disconnected kill cord electrics - but still no go - changed the plug, and away it then went - sweet as a nut... 

I'll find some time to get it out to the boat this weekend to take it back - but I have visitors, so no sailing..

In the meanwhile, I'm going to buy myself a spare plug, and some spray carb cleaner - just in case....

3 comments:

  1. Hi Syeve we have a product out here called "Start Ya Bastard" which comes in an aerosol can......http://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/online-store/products/Nulon-Start-Ya-Bastard-350g.aspx?pid=13168#Cross.
    I am sure you could find something similar to go along with the spare plug!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paul - I'd buy a can of "Start ya Bastard" just for the name! I see it's marketed as an aerosol carb cleaner, so I reckon it's the same stuff my mech was using....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Back in the day I used to use 'Easy start' to get old bangers running. Good to get you out of trouble but bad for the engine in the long term. Certainly worth having something like it in the tool box to get you going again. Easy start will fire on the smallest inkling of a spark, carb cleaner does what it says but would tend to stop a good running engine if squirted down the throttle while running, so two great product for two different apps.
    Got to say, 'Easy start' doesn't quite have the same ring to it as'Start ya Bastard' :O)

    http://uk.ebid.net/for-sale/1-x-holts-bradex-easy-start-for-petrol-diesel-and-parafin-engines-cold-starter-108868834.htm?from=googleshop_uk&adwords=Y&gclid=CPblt62amLkCFU3LtAodUFoAPw

    ReplyDelete