Saturday 21 September 2013

Americas Cup 2013

...for one reason or another I'm late to the party, but everyone's raving about it, so I thought I'd check out the action on BBC iPlayer.....

Picture courtesy BBC

...it's about as far from the experience of sailing Sparrow as I'm likely to get but it's also some of the most exciting yacht racing I think I've ever seen...   latest race there is episode 5, I'd get in there quick if you don't want to miss out. 

Two things struck  me as I watched the footage  (other than the speed of these things..  race speeds of 35 knots +!), listen to the loadings, these boats creak like a man in pain; huge stresses involved heaving that much weight out of the water and onto the fins...  the other thing took me longer, but if you listen there's a constant high pitched whine in the background - it stops when they're not on the fins so I'm forced to the conclusion that that's what "speed" sounds like - it's water over the hydrofoils....  astonishing

Miss it at your peril....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03b468z/episodes/guide

No comments:

Post a Comment