Wednesday 3 June 2015

Bash....

....the south coast - where the boat and I abode - has been battered* by a succession of Atlantic gales that have rolled in, one after another, for seemingly the last month...  the boat has been sadly neglected, put simply there has been too much wind, too much rain, and to be honest, too much cold, at those times when I can get out for a sail...

It looks like the weather pundits are now forecasting a heatwave from about this weekend/beginning next...  fairly typical then that when I check the forecast for this weekend to see if Sunday will provide the second trip out of the year, the wind is as flat as a flat thing....  we shall see....

* evidence of battering - took this on my way into work this morning from the sea wall in Emsworth... if you look carefully at the harbour wall just in front of the white building you can see the casualties...  the dark blue one is a Hurley 20 (like Sparrow), but is in fact, the only Hurley 20 I know with an inboard engine... I first met her on the visitor pontoons in Emsworth Yacht Harbour when I was in to have the mast down, and the standing rigging replaced... she was then storm damaged (lost her mast) and sold to a new owner, who I met last winter... Dutch chap who was planning to replace the rig and live on her but has not been seen since.... (I knocked on the side to say hello and was dizzy for the next hour having breathed in the 'fog' that emanated when he opened the hatch..  😁)..  and here she is storm damaged again and stranded until at least the next spring....  just to her left is the latest casualty, pretty little Leisure 17, someone has a mooring line out for her so she may get rescued next high tide. Along the length of the wall there must be at least five dinghies... battered indeed......


2 comments:

  1. Ouch!.. Poole seems to have got away with it. We usually have a similar level of disorderly washed up ole tubs along the sea wall. I hope you get a good days sailing in soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phil - determined to get out Sunday even if it is light.... if there's no wind I'll practice anchoring.... either way I'm going out! PS. The Leisure 17 was gone by the time I went home... a closer view of the tenders showed them to be well and truly damaged.... the Hurley is just sad....

      Delete