Saturday 18 August 2018

Harbour dash...

Out for just shy of 3 hours on a work day, can't be bad..

Breezy and blustery old day, but humid, warm, and occasional sunshine, meant for a pleasant interlude dashing from one end of the harbour to the other..  southernmost point reached just shy of West Winner (but past HISC)..

So, top end four gusting five, but from a pleasant almost dead west, which meant easy beating to the bottom of the harbour (I even spotted one of the foiling Moths almost at the entrance of the Emsworth channel so they were enjoying the direction)

Put the reefs in on the mooring (roller reefing and rolled down to the first batten) then put the engine on to warm up while I prepared all the other ropes and lines, dropped the mooring, motored to the bridge which was dead into wind so I out the main up, and then motored to Marker. As I came around the 'Northney corner' the breeze began to come on, and as I looked up from sorting out various ropes a seal was looking at me from about 20 yards away..  magical..


Met Pete in his immaculate Trident half way up the channel - he'd been out for the whole tide, and had beached her for a good scrub - something which I think I will need to consider soon, as I notice Sparrow is getting a good growth, probably a scrub on the water rather than a beaching..

Very busy day in the harbour, lots and lots of dinghy's out by East Head...  huge fleets!

PS. Thanks for the piccie, Pete..



Log:


Distance: 10.13   (cumulative total in the mileage tab at the top)
Wind: F4 gusting F5; WxS
Sail Plan: Reefed main (first time this season) and reefed genoa (75%/80%)
Speed: 5.7/3.1 (max/avg)

No comments:

Post a Comment