Wednesday, 27 March 2013

One step forward, one step back...

....well that's what it feels like.... 

As is usually the way when re-commissioning a boat, there are a number of things I need to do, a number of things I'd like to do, and a number of things that'll just have to wait for the time being....

In the first group are those things I documented in the last post ("last post"?? freudian slip?? ), some progress has been made....
I can only dream!
  1. Following an order to eBay dealer Bosuns Locker Chandlery (recommended by the way - fast delivery, good communications, and cheap) I got delivery of 3 hanks of 6mm line to replace the topping lift, main halyard, and jib halyard...   with the order of some thimbles and shackles from the local chandlery I replaced all the hideous running rigging over the weekend (one step forward)....
  2. I found out that the boat had no security (one step back) so I fitted her with a new locking mechanism and took out the old lock (which had no key and looked like it was painted shut..) - step forward....?
  3. An examination of the jib/genoa  resulted in two things - one, delight at the quality and condition (nice sail, as new condition, and made by Arun, the same loft I got Pap's new jib from), but two, mild irritation that someone would order such a sail for a roller furler and not have a UV strip fitted - what were they on??!  Either way, sail went to Arun for aforesaid UV strip and I picked it up this morning  (albeit after handing over £80!)
  4. I need a main-sheet - the one that came with the boat is a single line, with a snap shackle on the end - what???!   I have a source and may get a result in the next few days...I do hope so, as main-sheet blocks are eye watering'ly expensive... the example in the picccie right is over £100 without the rope!
                                                                                
In the second group:
  1. I emptied the contents of my garage and loft into the boat (contents of Papillon bought home at the end of last season) - neither a step forward or backward, but the garage has more room...
  2. The GRP boom claw on the boat is beyond the pale and needs replacing with a slightly newer aluminium version (left) - again, I have a source and may get a result in the next few days...
  3. Boom cover - if I don't get one, the main (which is disreputable but usable) will disintegrate before I can get a new one made... a new one is another £60-£70 quid... the alternative is to use a bit of tarpaulin and buy the proper one later....
  4. Cleats/fairleads... I could do with a few more.....
 The third group are documented on the jobs page and I won't enumerate them here least I get depressed...

I was due to launch this Thursday (28th) but I have decided to postpone - we are experiencing extremely unseasonal weather in the UK at the moment - it was trying to snow as I cycled to work this morning, and the temperature hasn't hit double digits centigrade in about two weeks...  the thought of launching when it's this cold didn't fill me with any huge sense of excitement so another fortnight or so ashore is not a burden..... my new launch date is April 12th.

More anon....

3 comments:

  1. Is the boom on 'Sparrow' a rolling boom?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear you won't be launching for a while, having the usual fin with a new boat :) regarding the boom cover let me know if you need a hand making one ill be happy to help as they are pretty easy, especially if it's just a cover rather than a stack pack.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Phil - yes - just - may need to strip and grease the roller as she's stiff... got myself the boom claw today.... progress is slow - genoa turned out to be a jib - very small..... :o(

    Lusty D - very kind - I have a couple of irons in the fire though that may result in a cheap'ish solution

    ReplyDelete