Monday 1 July 2013

Marker tacking practice...

First time out in over two weeks so more than a little happy with the weather this weekend..  shame the tides didn't want to pay ball...  18:10 high tide on Sunday so earliest I could get off the mooring was 15:00, which I duly did..  just... 

Met Giblets and mate coming up the Northney channel - they'd been out for the day in the harbour...

Giblets and the almost legendary "Boobalena"..

Giblets tells me he may have stayed here for a short time while 'enjoying the scenery'..  I can't possible comment... but I have enjoyed the scenery myself there once or twice.......
 
The wind had seemed a bit fresh when I got to the boat, and Cambermet was saying Force 4 gusting 5 just before I left, so I took the decision to put some reefs in the main (first time..), and then pushed on past Northney for the Emsworth channel. The roller reefing worked a treat (I stripped and cleaned it before launch as it was stiff) and ended up putting in about 3 reefs (I count by the number of sail slides) - sail still set well - no "boom sag"...

...and that was mostly it - I wasn't out for long, a couple of hours at most as I wanted time at the end to strip sails and boom ready for the standing rigging to be replaced this week (currently planning for Wednesday). The wind direction and tide being what it was I spent most of the afternoon trying to get to Marker, down harbour tack was fine, but I then watched myself slip sideways on the tide back up towards Emsworth every time I tacked across! Still - never mind - it was sunny, warm, and very very good to be out again...

You can see from the track that about an hour in the wind swung more westerly at which point it was just about possible to aim at HISC on one tack.... got to Verner and it was time to head home if I was going to do everything I needed to...

Boom off and stored below, took the jib off to bring home (I want to measure the luff against the jib Jelly Bean Phil passed to me at the beginning of the season) and all done - time for new standing rigging!

Log:

Distance: 7.72 miles (cumulative total in the 2013 mileage tab at the top of the page)
Wind: Force 4 (both ends of the scale).. SW going to WSW
Sail Plan: Full jib and 3 reefs in the main - engine for manoeuvring..
Speed: GPS track says max speed was 5.4 knots (under sail) - average speed: 3 knots.

No comments:

Post a Comment