Monday, 4 April 2016

...and more work done.. job #4 "Lead halyard/topping lift back to cockpit" and an Oxalic wash

...  and I'll be glad to get afloat if only for a rest... 

Time is fast approaching for launching and, with this being the last weekend left, I decided to focus on the job(s) that need shore power so I picked up on the "Lead halyard/topping lift back to cockpit"; job #4...

Over time my idea's on how to do this have changed significantly from deck organisers and pulleys to what I actually ended up doing which is significantly simpler, but still took ages to actually measure and place before drilling...

I started with a piece of aluminium angle, drilled for the same bolts that hold the mast in the tabernacle (M10) - I drilled this at home, and also hacksawed and then filed the corners of the upper surface at the same time...


...put a couple of (M5) holes on the other surface for the blocks/eyes/shackles, or whatever else I use because I'm still not convinced this set up will be final..  eg. two single pulleys better, snap shackle not eye bolt, etc etc. Time will tell... 

For now though I had an eye bolt and double pulley in the spares box which I had originally bought to deck mount for this very job, but which worked just as well on the mast plate...


In terms of  placement I tried each of the potential options - either 'face up' or 'face down' on either the upper or lower fastening positions on the tabernacle, and lots and lots of testing with fair leads, pads, spare lines, and pulley positions before deciding the final position which in the end was
  • 'face up' on the upper attachment 
  • fairleads on blocks
  • fairleads positioned towards grab rail
..purely so that the halyard runs cleared the edge of the (sliding) hatch... like follows..


As mentioned, in order to help with the halyard run, the fair leads (one each for halyard and topping lift) are mounted on small blocks (of HDPE)...  the cam cleats (again one for each) are mounted on a block of wood (which is currently being treated with some wood preservative) and I am using the same holes as were used for a cleat (for the roller furling line) that was there, and has now been relocated outside of the grab rails (where it should have been in the first place). Again - I'm still not sure about the cleats so the block of wood will allow a decent test before I confirm - if I'm happy I'll drill the block to also bolt on the other side...


Red topping lift/blue halyard/green roller furling

..so mostly done - just cam cleat block to finish and bolt - holes are all drilled, I can do it any time..


Controlled pandemonium... 

I finished off with a wash down of cockpit and hull with Oxalic...  amazing stuff! Just a reminder this is a before shot - note the grime at water line...

and this is an after - gone...





...and it really was as simple as washing on with a sponge and leaving it for ten minutes... just as an example I missed a couple of bits underneath the stern - I'll get them before I go in, but if that doesn't show before and after I don't know what does!

No comments:

Post a Comment