Saturday 13 April 2013

Final Jobs..

Last few hours before launch and Thursday afternoon found a hive of activity aboard Sparrow..

A good constructive afternoon though....

6/. Drill the mast gate to take a locking pin (to keep the sail slides in the slot)  Done

10/. The jib was too short for the roller reefing to work (luff not long enough for the halyard diverter to work), but one of my readers came up with a cunning plan to add a length of line to the top of the sail - effectively giving it a longer luff... Pleased to say that this worked really well - roller is till hideously stiff, but it does work, and the halyard no longer wraps..  cheers, Julian..! (Think I saw Billy's mast was still down? Give me a shout if you need an assist, definitely owe you one...)

12/. Main sheet - 18 mtrs of 10mm arrived from Bosun's Locker Chandlery [clicky], an on-line enterprise I originally found on eBay, but they also have their own website. Wholly recommended , their rope prices are very cheap, delivery is super fast, and the quality is excellent...... either way, plastic eye whipped into the end and the sheet was then made up very easily..  the new blocks are superb...   and so they should be at that price they cost...!
 
15/. Curtains fitted...  I'll be painting the blocks eventually, but I'm pleased with these...

Port side...  small confession, still got starboard and front to do...  but it'll happen...

18/. Source new long shaft engine - done - bought a Suzuki 4HP long shaft 2 stroke from Bill at Home Marine in Emsworth Yacht Harbour. Part ex'd the old engine for a reasonable amount - I might have got £50 more if I'd sold it privately but doing it this way saved me the faff.... Funny old thing, but the new one is lighter than my old engine despite being long shaft, and the same HP...  also got 3 months warranty (I'd also recommend Bill/Home Marine for outboard stuff..  been going to him for years now..)

19/. Fill screw holes on transom- this was the most important job of the day as despite the fact they're above the waterline, where I moor the boats sometimes sit awkwardly on the mud and this can mean water is above the waterline for a while until the tide is in enough for them to heave themselves fully upright/afloat...  either way what I wanted was secure/water tight/quick solution (I'll fill them properly next winter) - solution was a stainless bolt with a penny washer either end, and a rubber washer between outer washer and hull. Half dozen holes later jobs a good'un...

At which point Tim from the Bosham Yacht Company came along and asked if I minded him putting Sparrow on the trailer ready for launch tomorrow..  I was largely done, so I climbed off and they went to work...very impressive, they use a humongous crane but the degree of accuracy is down to cm's..


Straps on

Looking good...


Nice view of the curtains...

Almost done..

Ready for launch

No comments:

Post a Comment