Thursday 16 March 2017

More ticks than a mangy dog...

...we always have to have a post with that title once every refit.... and yesterday was one of those mangy dog days....

So with the time to splash down reducing dramatically, and this weekend not looking too good =>

Courtesy WindGuru

...I decided to take a day off to get some serious work done - and what a belter - wall to wall sun for the entire day and eight hours later I had completed all the jobs I wanted to get done except one...

So started off by whipping out the companionway hatches, rubbing them down, and putting a coat of paint on - while they were drying in the sun, I then took the palm sander and rubbed down the hand rails on the cabin roof, the rubbing strakes (both sides in each case), the cockpit board, and the outboard pad.

Once that was done the first coat on the hatches was dry so I slapped a second coat on - then gave the rubbing strakes two coats of the exterior wood stain I tend to use for these jobs - the surface prior to rub down was perfect, so I'm more than happy with the performance and the appearance..  also did the same for the hand rails and the cockpit board.

By which time it was beer o'clock and time for a chat with my club yard neighbour...   beers done it was then time for the main feature - antifoul time...

I loathe this job, but I love the look afterwards as much as I loathe the job so needs must....

Before shots...


...it really was a very nice day!


...and after.....  still wet from the last coats - two coats overall and then I used the last of the can (about a quarter) on all the edges, the keels, waterline and the skeg/rudder...


Next picture - the controlled pandemonium that is a working session on the boat...  bags, tools and boxes everywhere...


Lovely! 


So jobs #18, #19 and #20 done - what I didn't manage to get done was
  1. the outboard pad - but that's a quicky...
  2. I rubbed down but didn't get round to putting a coat of Hammerite on the tabernacle as I wanted to drill the bottom hole out (making it ever so slightly bigger) before I paint it..
...next time! Delighted with progress today..

This weekend I'm going to collect the tender and bring it home for some much needed TLC...  if the club boat shed is empty I may also do some much needed work on the launching trailer (grease the wheels, and replace one of the supports)..  jobs #7/#8/#9 and #15 on the list
 
Man do I ache today...  getting too old for grovelling on the gravel between the bilge keels of a small boat.....

No comments:

Post a Comment