Friday 11 May 2018

Completed job list - winter layover 2017/18

So one of the worst winters for maintenance in my history of boat ownership (and this is the 9th year so where did that time go?)... rain, after cold, after rain, after snow, after wind, and repeat....  all in all I found it particularly stressing, as I had stuff to do, a rapidly advancing launch date, and the weather wasn't playing ball...  but hey ho, them's the breaks, and as a mate of mine said, "that's life on the water for you"..  

So what did I get done..?  Not too much, but more than was expected in the time allowed (couple of sessions)
  1. Fit electrics:
    • fit fixed VHF (which I have) - fitted - just need to wire it in - which I'll do on a quiet day while on the water


    • Tiller pilot and electrics -dri plug fitted for power (just need to wire it in - which I'll also do on a quiet day while on the water) - no time to fit the actual pilot.. it'll have to wait for next winter, I may be able to jimmy rig a temporary fitting, we'll see




  2. Fit recently obtained boarding ladder (a #1 priority after this little event [clicky])



  3. All done, and very happy with the end result -t he one modification |I've made after floating is to fit a strop to leave the ladder in a half raised position - at rest, and unloaded the ladder is well clear of the water - when on starboard tack it touches the water and causes drag - leaving it up fixes that issue

  4. Handrails - completed, but not without (more) incident... touch wood the quarter berths have remained dry - so this is a qualified "good"
  5. Windex - source and fit and this time get a permanent solution! Clang...  resounding fail...


    Was hugely pleased with this one, and then a series of errors on mast raise day [clicky] saw yet another of my windex's hurtle in to the briney..  this was the third one..  maybe I need to accept that it just ain't meant to be....

    It has however potentially raised something I need to check next winter - I had assumed the polyethylene (chopping board) material I used would be good for years as it has an almost oily texture - the fact it cracked so easily may mean it is more susceptible to UV than I thought.. I'll replace it next winter with aluminium sheet...  and I may then just fit a flag halyard and buy a burgee!!
  6. Reinforce outboard pad and surrounding area - replaced pad


  7. Rub down and coat of paint on cockpit locker lids / wash boards (as needed)
    • the cockpit locker lids got a coat of paint mid last season and I refitted the padlock hasps and they look pretty good (but I would also like to trim the edges for a better fit)..
    • The wash boards needed doing - especially the bottom one - I'm going to have to replace them at some time but they'll do for now...
  8. Rub down and coat of wood preservative on rubbing strakes / cockpit board / outboard pad / hand rails (as needed) - the outboard pad was done as part of the renewal, I also had some areas of raised/bubbly preservative on the rubbing strakes - rubbed back and patched these but I think a more complete job will be needed next winter....
  9. Antifoul - done - hideous job...
  10. Service outboard - also done - new engineer this year, and the price was up (£123)
  11. Service Life Jackets - done..

2 comments:

  1. That's you all sorted!

    Very helpful comment regarding life jackets; I should really be wearing one myself when I clamber out to the boat in my tippy dinghy and the boarding ladder comment is also timely - I have a very good boarding / swimming ladder on the stern but it needs a rope permanently attached that I can grab to swing it down from its stowed position if I ever end up in the briny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alden - I'll admit I only wear it between shore and boat, once I'm on the boat I tend to take it off.. different matter if/should I ever go out of the harbour mind...

      Delete