Tuesday 30 October 2018

Gone... and first jobs...

Three days later and I'm out, and work has already commenced, but after four days of hard work I'm glad to be back at my desk for a rest!

So Friday was mast down, Saturday was work party at the club for lift out - eight boats lifted and plenty of time on the water (which is a good thing), on a variety of boats (also a good thing), it was mostly sunny (ditto) but my goodness it was chilly...  some biting northerly's..

Sunday Sparrow was due for lift out so arrived early, got a lift out to Sparrow (so no tender required) and motored her under the bridge for one last trip this season before picking up a spare mooring in the pool between the bridge and the old railway line to wait for my turn on the tractor..

Not so bad this year - fourth out I think - and an absolute prime position right by a power/water bollard, and just in front of t'other Dave's boat (he of Jolly Boys "fame")... most chuffed..

Note broom pole as temporary central mast support...
The following makes it look like it was hugely gray and stormy - but that would be because it was ..  we had at least two deluges during the lift out..  hideous....


Enough was enough - outboard engine taken off and flushed with fresh water and I headed home for a warm shower...

With a plenitude of holiday still in the bank at work I had booked off Monday for wash down and hull clean - I had a list and I was going to stick to it! ... 

First on the list was a better mast support - all the years I've had Sparrow I've just hung the mast between the two end points (crutch and pulpit) but with no central support it bounces, and I am wary of issues with putting weight on it while moving about the boat, so for lift out I put in a temporary broom pole and lashing to support the centre, but I wanted to make something more permanent - bit of 3 x 2 later and all done...

Next job (while I waited for the tide to fill in) was to start job #8 which is one of my priority jobs for the winter..  Sparrow has a couple of glassed in metal stringers running from one keel to the other - my guess is that it is keel reinforcement - over the years the glass has split and let in water so the stringers were beginning to rust - not a good thing..  so Monday with the help of the awesome oscillating multi tool I cut away all the glass fibre, to get a good look at what was underneath.. 


Not so bad I was relieved to find - just surface - but needed treating..  I also noticed that the stringers are not directly attached to the surface of the boat underneath which reinforces my view they are not part of the hull reinforcement, but purely for keel reinforcement... I think..  no matter have asked some experts and we shall see...

In the meanwhile I cleaned them off with a wire brush, and then coated them with Fertan [clicky] and left them for the prescribed 24/48 hours


Depending on what I hear, I will either just paint them and leave them exposed (I prefer this one as I like to see stuff, not hide it under glass fibre) or glass them back in (if they are also hull reinforcement). Whatever I choose to do, I will also clean and paint the bilges in the immediate area...

That done and it was time to go recover the mooring pickup chain and buoy - I always do this as I take the view that the pickup chain will last a lot longer living in my garage over the winter than it will lying in the mud and the crud of the harbour bottom..

Last time I installed the chain, purely to see if it would help, I sprayed the thread of the shackle that attaches to the mooring buoy with waterproof grease, and I was hugely pleased to see that this year I could actually undo it rather than having to hacksaw it as I usually do - bonus...

Safely ashore and tender stored, last job of the day was the pressure wash of the hull (which was much needed - see video evidence below) - in the great pantheon of sh*tty jobs that have you to do on a boat, pressure washing underneath the hull, between the keels, is right up there as #2 or #3 (antifouling will always be #1), but an hour later, a considerably soggier Steve was done (O rings had gone on the pressure washer lance, so it was leaking up my sleeve )


Note new mast support...


Got a weeks holiday coming up, so one last session before I go - need to give the decks and cockpit a wash down, and I'll hoover out the dust/debris in the bilge, and wash down the stringers ready for a coat of paint - if they're dry in time, I'll give them a coat of metal primer there and then...

Last of all, the worlds most boring video - purely for interest I like to document what state the hull is in each year on lift out - this is this years, look at that crop of barnacles!

2 comments:

  1. I am always impressed by the usefulness of twin bilge keels for hauling out - sensible and safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alden - damn right - and round here an absolute necessity for taking the mud/ground between tides..

      Delete