Monday 25 March 2019

Wires, wires, wires...

....another good but tiring day on the boat..  yeah, it's time for a "more ticks than a mangy dog" post.. 

Not so many photo's unfortunately as it was a 'finishing off' day....

So the following are now officially "done"

Job #3 - Electrics:  the VHF came back from Standard Horizon via the Chandlers this week (excellent service by the way from Marine Superstore at Port Solent and also Standard Horizon) - Standard Horizon diagnosed a faulty screen and replaced it free of charge..  before (re)fitting, I permanently wired in the data lead for the GPS using the wiring combination I identified last time, blanked off all the wires that I'm not using - I have taken the decision not to permanently wire the GPS into the power as battery usage (double A's) is minimal, and it's just an extra complication...  powered up the GPS, crossed my fingers, turned on the VHF.. screen good, MMSI good, lat/long being delivered, RESULT!

Mixed up some epoxy gorilla glue and stuck some cable organisers to cabin roof and side to make the cable run neater, I also (while I had it out) stuck another in the quarter berth to take the aerial cable (which feeds through from the transom via the cockpit locker, through the bulkhead and into said quarter berth, then I micro cable tied all loose wires together and lastly, with the last of the glue I had a couple of small cable clips that I stuck underneath the companionway step - they will hold the GPS feed cable out of the way.. 

Next, I completed the anchor light installation by amalgamate taping all the joints, and routing the positive cable via existing and new cable clips - powered up everything and tested for power at lights and deck plug - all good - DONE!

Moved to the mast head, took off the anchor light reflector, gave it a good wash, replaced, taped - DONE!

First coat of paint was put on the tiller pilot fitting - I've bought it home for anther couple of coats this week and I'll fit it next weekend..  I'm increasingly thinking that I might want to fit a power switch for the pilot electrics, but rather than rush the decision I'll see how it plays out this season - I can either install a switch in the cockpit locker next to the plug, or move connectivity into the switch panel - on balance the former I think if I go that way..  while the paint was out, and I had a decent hoover with me, I cleaned the shelves either side of the companionway and gave them a coat of paint - they get a dreadful hammering with all the keys, padlocks, cans and whatever that normally live on them - they look a lot better now..

Next job #8 - the keel reinforcements.. looking significantly better following previous work..  hoovered out dust and other loose material, and  I gave them the second and final coat of epoxy primer - once they're dry I plan to paint the bilges with the same garage floor paint I used on the tender, which has proven to be pleasingly hard wearing..  picture once they're done...  the following was pre-'first primer coat'


Next job #12, and I checked the whipping on the genoa/main/topping lift eyes... in my view they look OK so I'm going to consider the job done, but I may double check once the rig is up and I can get easier access..

I was on a roll so the final job of the day was to start on #4 to replace fore hatch hinges - this is what they currently look like (albeit a little rustier as this was taken 3 or 4 years ago) - they are common or garden galvanised gate hinges that have been bent twice to fit the hatch - they sit on what look like plastic pads - I'm keen to make sure that I don't drill any further holes through the deck so whatever solution I come up with needs to utilise the same pads/fixings.. at the moment I am thinking wooden blocks on top of the pads, standard stainless hinge attached to rear face of the lid, and the block...  got as far yesterday as cutting the blocks - we'll reconvene next time as the next step was to unbolt the hinge and it was close the to the end of the day, and to be honest, I was knackered!

Lastly, the outboard service has been completed - no issues identified, and I've collected the engine - job done!

2 comments:

  1. Stainless hinges sound like a good idea, you could even bend them to shape as you've done with the galvanized ones. Roll on Summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alden - I think so, but these are quite small (hence "think") - the plate of the hinge will fit the side of the hatch so no bending required.. just need to get the height right, and as we all know there's no such thing as a straight line on a boat!

    ReplyDelete