Saturday 30 November 2019

Prettyfying...

From one of the guys on the Practical Boat Owner forum came this awesome link to all things Suzuki [clicky]...

Which gave me an excuse to fix this:


...honestly, why would you use a soft metal fitting on a marine outboard??


Part identified..


Ordered a new bolt, and more importantly the spacer, from Suzuki UK..  5 minute job to then slip out the old and replace with the new..  I re-used the nut and washer...



...the engine used to live in an outboard well - the following is one of the side effects...  better fixed than not, I think...  


4 comments:

  1. I once bought a couple of screw down vents made of aluminum. The screw part was stainless steel screwing into an aluminum casting. Within 6 months the SS thread had frozen to the aluminum. I complained and pointed out the existence of the table of 'noble' metals and all its implications, but they were still selling the crap 5 years later - unbelievable.
    There is still a large amount of stuff in boat chandlers shops that has a built in obsolescence of a couple of months - quite alarming really.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't even get me started on tiller pilots... :o)

      Delete
  2. Bad enough having an aluminum engine running in seawater without mild steel parts. I had a suzuki year ago 4 or 5 hP - was a great little engine,quiet but seemed to be more susceptible to corrosion than other engines we've had.

    Good job done - I'd probably also go around taking out bolts and greasing them before putting them back - pleasant little winter job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Max - good call - just had a major service so I may go touch the bits they didn't... I also plan to make a stencil and spray paint "Sparrow" all over the leg in an effort to make it less nick'able..

      Delete