Sunday 11 July 2021

Shake down sail...

Almost 3 weeks after I put the sails on and did the initial rig tension, FINALLY today gave an opportunity to get out for a sail...

Succession of duff tides (early and late), huge amounts of rain (I emptied a bucket full out the other weekend), gales, and just general blechhhh, has left little opportunity or interest to get out on the boat.. even today was not perfect, it was surprisingly cold for mid summer and I ended up rooting out a jumper at one point...

South, or south south east, and three hours before a biggish high tide meant that I spent most of the session using not much wind to beat against a big tide - tacking angles were rubbish as you can see from the track, but yeah was good to get out on the water and shake down...

Stays needed tightening (now done), the GPS mount fell apart (now new bolted), forgot the auto pilot (doh!) but the outboard worked well (not sure I don't need a new primer bulb, though - it doesn't pump well), the sails went up OK (though the roller furler is very stiff) but I haven't forgotten how to do it so good result


Festival of speed is on at Goodwood this weekend and these guys came in low over the boat just after I set off...  scared the living daylights out of me..  

OK, ready to go now..


Log:

Distance: 5.82 (cumulative total in the mileage tab at the top)
Wind (Speed; Direction): Both ends of a F3; SSE
Sail Plan: Full main/genoa
Speed (Max/average in knots):  5.4/2.6

2 comments:

  1. Interesting to look at your track - you were able to get some nice lifts on some of the tacks! Must have been great to be back out on the water again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...interesting to see the angles widen as I got to the Beacon mark and the tide was beginning to slacken...most of the time I just watched the shore going sideways when on port tack! :o)

      Delete