Monday 11 April 2022

Boats look the dogs nadgers with...

..nice new dark blue antifoul! 😀

Loads of work getting done as the clock ticks down inexorably towards the launch this coming Friday - bunch of poor weather last week scuppered any plans for a crafty day off work to get some stuff done, so a mostly clear, and sunny weekend was a God-send - lots of activity down the yard not surprisingly..

First off the antifoul though - like to give it a week or so to harden off so that it doesn't coat the strops of the lift, and then any other boats coming along afterwards, so that was the first order of business this weekend..  not a job I particularly enjoy but a few changes to the routine this year I thought made it a whole lot quicker..  

First off the obligatory "befores"..  mud tide line on the keels and skeg...


Masked up...

...and then the "after's"..

...smart!!

Quite possibly one of the most satisfying jobs in the known universe is taking off masking tape..  from chaos comes smooth lines and order.... I love it.. 😁

So - what was new this year?

  • new knee pads - you can see the surface of the yard - hard ballast - not a smooth rock to be seen - the knee pads were excellent
  • cardboard - had an old (large) box in the garage I'd been saving and it was brilliant for laying on, and being able to move around on, while getting between the keels
  • on recommendation I used woolly rollers this year after having used foam ones for years - holds the paint better, and I thought a thicker layer per coat than with foam - apparently foam ones are for gloss paint so makes sense
  • long radiator handle was perfect for between the keels
  • for the rest of the boat I used a short handle but with a 6" roller - just as easy to handle but lots more coverage than the small ones - and it holds more paint so less time spent dipping/loading..  of all the changes this year, that one was worth it's weight in gold...
  • for the records...  Hempel Tiger Xtra Antifoul - 2.5L, Dark Blue - £69.95

All done and dusted, two coats, masking and unmasking in about 2.5/3 hours.. brilliant...

That done it was time for some fun...  every winter I try and do one thing that adds value/significance to the boat, so this year it was a depth gauge..  thought long and hard about how I was going to fit this as I really (really) didn't want to drill holes in the GRP, when a chance comment by someone on one of the sailing groups on Farcebook lead me to buying a small TV/monitor bracket - fitted it this weekend and I'm delighted with it...

Deployed/out - you'll note I also moved some of the other bits and pieces to it as well (GPS mount and VHF mic) so as to centralise - since the picture, I've also fitted the depth gauge audible alarm ..

Folded half away..

Folded completely away (next) - chuffed to nuts with that..  the mounting board is one of those plastic chopping boards, chosen for the lack of upkeep required..   I may still go for something a little more aesthetic next winter, but let's see how we get on with this first..

Finished off with a touch of varnishing (grab rails, companion way sides, and cabin foot step) some wood preserving (jam cleat organiser) and some painting (autohelm pad), and that really was beer o'clock time..

Got a day booked off this week for the last few jobs before launch..  she's covered in Saharan dust from the last weather plume, so that has to come off while I have access to fresh water, and then as per the pictures, the depth instrument and alarm still need wiring into the boats 12v power - I'll enjoy doing that more than the washing! 😁

4 comments:

  1. I think your foldaway setup is a handy touch of brilliance - you should indeed be chuffed with it. I have also found many uses for plastic chopping boards - and because you don't buy them from a yacht chandlers they are a relatively cheap piece of kit to have on hand. Don't forget to toast the sea gods on launching day - beer and pork pies?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - as you will have seen your comments have been discovered.. and as you will have also seen - beer and pork pies make an appearance on launch day... :o)

      The chopping board is good - for something like this, and as a backer, or large washer, perfect.. as I found at the top of the mast though they can get brittle in UV over time, and too much weight can cause them to snap...

      Taking off the masking tape is almost worth the two hours under the boat being splashed with toxicity... :o)

      Delete
  2. Great work with the plastic chopping board - I have used them for all sorts of jobs - mounting brackets, fat plastic washers - I have almost done away with shackles on the Zephyr by making plastic toggles that are threaded through the eyelets of the sail for most of the controls i.e. outhaul, halyard, cunningham - all cut and shaped from a relatively cheap plastic chopping board. When I owned the Laser, I bolted lengths of chopping board vertically onto the Laser beach trolley frame to make it slide more easily onto the road trailer.
    I agree with the effects of masking tape on the soul - very satisfying!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree about the cosmic importance of masking tape - using it quite a bit myself at the moment

    ReplyDelete