Monday 26 September 2022

Southampton Boat show

Slightly overdue but have just been to yet another totally awesome Boatshow in Southampton...  

Accompanied this time by just the brother-in-law, as my sister who was also coming had gone down with some lurgy...  Bro in law had a load of suppliers to talk technical with (he works for Clipper) so I got to mooch the stands and marvel at all the things I never knew I needed, while he talked the aforementioned technicals, and then meeting up every now and again to browse some more...

General observations were that it was back to its pre-COVID levels of business - we went mid-week and it was still heaving, and for all the nay sayers who say every year it's "getting smaller" and is "less relevant" - based on what I saw and overhead, it is still a major force - there was a lot of money being spent, and the boat business looked to be in rude health.  "Hot topics" this year - SUP's/inflatables, and electric power/engines, were everywhere...

Just inside the entrance I spotted this one ==> 


I've probably mentioned before that I generally accept that my almost lifetime interest in sailing was sparked by Arthur Ransome and the "Swallows and Amazons" series of books he wrote - still read them now on occasion - well this is "Swallow" that featured in the 1974 film (not the later remake) ... just lovely...


Pausing only to watch a fascinating live demo on the English Braids stand on how to splice an eye into a cored rope (seriously - it was very good! 😀) I then went and did my sole shopping of the day - three sets of 6mm braid on braid destined to replace the original, and now manky/green, topping lift, main halyard, and genoa halyard on Sparrow.. three 20mtr hanks from the remainder bin came to just over 45 quid - which I reckon was a bargain, as the quality is excellent - not your usual soft mush....

On the pontoons - this one caught my eye ==>

Think I'd have to beef up that bowsprit anchor point though...  😁

Jeanneau Sun Fast F3300 - scow bows on production boats - who'd have thought it?! Super fast, and as I am currently following "Team RockIt" which comprises Shirley Robertson and Dee Caffari on YouTube (WELL worth watching) racing the same class of boat, I was interested to see it in the flesh...  beauty is in the eye of the beholder with scow bows I suspect, but I love them - very purposeful. 

Bit of a first - my first million pound plus production yacht - I don't doubt there were others round before, but that's the first time I've seen it on a price tag on a boat...  happily, it includes VAT...  😏


This one is the one I'm trying to persuade Rodders to get the Royal Marines to replace "Ocean Waves" with..  😂


You can see why we would never be allowed to take it out even if they did actually buy one!

Picture courtesy Hallberg Rassy

Then last of all - loved the look of this one*, Cornish Crabbers biggest boat, I think. Yellow looks good on a boat...👍👌

* but not all the woodwork that would need looking after! 


Few pints in the 'Dancing Man' and off home - bloody brilliant day out...

2 comments:

  1. Swallows and Amazons certainly has universal appeal and influence! I always wanted a boat like 'Swallow' when I was growing up and dreaming of boats - but the practical reality of these old heavy boats is something else - but I would be happy to take the boat in a package - 'Swallow', and a Cottage on a lake with a nice sandy beach to effortlessly pull the boat up a few feet after a sail - that would make all the difference.
    Love the 'Dancing Man' and the Sun Fast F3300 - both at either end of a sailing spectrum, but both immensely appealing - perhaps I shall purchase one of both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alden - at 14 I was the same about the boat.. completely ignoring the realities of the skills you need to maintain such a boat, but I guess back then marine ply and wood was the go-to for small dinghy's... thanks goodness for fibre glass! Good to hear from you, congratulations on the start of your summer season (jealous), and best wishes for some competitive racing this year!

      Delete