Tuesday 8 August 2023

Feisty!

Blimey..  that blew the cobwebs out for sure..

Changeable and inclement weather continues here in the south of the UK with the jet stream [clicky for a forecast/view from the met office] now an almost constant topic of conversation at the sailing club as dinghy race after dinghy race is cancelled due to high wind. They had the first one yesterday in what seems like two weeks..

Having enjoyed that lovely trip the other day though, I was keen to get out on Sparrow again. The weather yesterday was monsoon like, and the tides were getting later and later, so my only option this week (due to other commitments) was today/Monday with a 16:53 HT, but a Spring'ish 4.6mtr tide would mean I should be able to get off the mooring just over 3 hours before.

First though a stop off at the garage for some fuel for the outboard - 3 lts of Super later (gave up on regular when they upped the ethanol content a few years back) I headed back to the club, got the oars and headed out to Sparrow. CAMBERMET, my local weather beacon, was down (I suspect a casualty of Storm Antoni last weekend) so there was no view of what was happening at the bottom of the harbour, the one outside the harbour was showing F4, local conditions looked ok, and the forecast was F4, so I decided to go without reefs...  😏

Repeat of last trip then..  rolled out the genoa at the start of the ditch as wind was going round more west every minute (so a run), turned into wind off Northney and got the main up, then bore off for the Beacon..

Should have known it wasn't a good decision not to put reefs in, the wind was building every minute and by the time I came up into the wind as I passed Beacon I was struggling - Sparrow bless her was luffing up almost constantly in the gusts, the tiller was under my chin, and neither she or I was happy so I rolled some genoa in, then turned/tacked to go down wind, shoved the auto pilot on, and rolled some reefs (eventually) into the main, before continuing our journey to the south.

As the wind hit what was a constant F5, the temperatures cool, I came to the conclusion enough was enough and turned for home at Verner..  a learning experience for sure, but I'd prefer some sun.

Out with the Jolly Boys on AmiLy on Thursday, and fingers crossed for good weather as I hope to have grandson as crew on Sparrow for the first time on Friday.
  • 3ltrs fuel added to tank
Log:


Distance: 8.27 (cumulative total in the mileage tab at the top)
Wind (Speed; Direction): F5 ; SW going WxS
Sail Plan: Reefed main and genoa
Speed (Max/average in knots): 6.1 (saw 7.1!) / 3.1

No comments:

Post a Comment