Wednesday 6 March 2024

More epoxy (or "my bottom's done , turn me over matron")

Going to call this part done I think or I'll faff and bodge until two weeks after launch..  (April 12th 9th! by the way 😏)

You may remember the steps/stages.. 
  1. rubbed/sanded down
  2. hole filled with two pack plastic wood
  3. rubbed/sanded down again
  4. cleaned with acetone
  5. two layers of woven rovings wetted with epoxy (yeah I know, overkill, for this job ordinary GRP would do but I'm used to, and already had, some epoxy, and also had the cloth from an old job so went with it) 
  6. rubbed/sanded down again
  7. I had some steel bar in my spares box, cut off about 9", tried to and largely failed to drill a couple of holes of the right size - I went with pilot holes but it took a LONG time to drill - Heaven only knows what this stuff actually is. Either way got a couple on the end, then pre bent the end to fit the contour of the nose. Nailed this into the keel, and then bedded it in with more epoxy this time stiffened up with some micro ballons to the consistency of lemon curd..
  8. rubbed/sanded down again
This one following is the rear of the keel at step 8+. After the last post I mixed up some more epoxy this time with filler, and to the consistency of peanut butter, and slathered it on all round the aluminium sacrificial keel that is now screwed into the keel...  it dried rock hard, but before it went off I wrapped another layer of light cloth into it..  one it held it in place, and two it's another layer of strength..


This was following light sand..


...and this is it 99% done following a sand with the sanding disk on an angle grinder - I mixed up some Milliput after this stage just so I could soften the angle at the front of the plate, and because the stuff is so easy to use... - but that's good to go, it's a tender for goodness sake, not a concourse class Rolls Royce 😁  


...and here's the nose job... again - post epoxy and thickener, but this time pre-light sanding...


...and post heavy sand with grinder flap wheel..  woven rovings need a coat of gel coat really, but they're solid, waterproof and will be painted (and will do)...


Next step is to epoxy primer the bit's I've epoxied, then turn her over to start work on the transom..

No comments:

Post a Comment