Sunday 11 August 2024

Purple guano.. 😝

Late tides so snatched a couple of hours for a quick sail ..

16:15 HT and going neap'ish but I was on the boat by about 13:30'ish..  conditions were brisk so I took the opportunity there and then to roll some reefs in - two slides worth as it was feeling feisty. As the main was up already for the reefs I then motor-sailed off the mooring (I don't fanny about, there's a lot of club boats in close vicinity so I don't take unnecessary chances 😏) and bore off down the ditch - with minimal motor and adverse tide we were still seeing 3.5kts plus.




That was largely it - WxN so bearing up as we went, we shot past Marker on a single tack like a cannonball - HISC was in view (and my first target) but as it got closer and closer I began to think about the Bar Beacon.

Alas not to be - wind was gentling off as time went by, then I got blanketed by the headland HISC is on the end of, tide still running hard, and rather than have to start tacking I bailed just short of WestWinnr and enjoyed a fast travellator on the end of the tide back to the top of the harbour in 'company' with a small Hunter Horizon (you know how it is - there's always a race to be had somewhere.. 😏) and which was where I saw the 5.7 top speed (and a few 6's and 6.1's too)..

Brilliant day out, but the birds have started eating blackberries - deck was covered in purple guano.. 😝

Wash down of the boat, and a quick coat of paint on the cockpit hatches and the day was was done..

Log:


Distance: 9.52 (cumulative total in the mileage tab at the top)
Wind (Speed; Direction): Both ends of a F4; WxN
Sail Plan: Reefed main and genoa
Speed (Max/average in knots): 5.7 / 3.4

No comments:

Post a Comment