Wednesday 5 May 2021

Jobs being done

...the annual bodge'fest that is the job list on Sparrow is under way...  

First on the list was to take a decent hoover down to the boat which I then proceeded to wield on all under floor area's..  

I'd noticed when I was painting the cabin that they really were filling up with dust and crap..   OK so hoovering your boat may not be the most seaman'like/necessary of activities, but I take the view that the stuff holds damp in a marine environment so I'm better off without it, than with it..  by the time I'd finished the hoover was full, so it clearly needed doing..

Other stuff..
  • she is filthy, utterly green, for shame..  I'm holding off doing it until last as while I'm tramping on and off her all I'll do is undo the good work
  • I found a persistent drip in the fore cabin and traced it to what I think were the screws holding the grab rail - eased them off, packed with butyl tape above and below and screwed back in - job should be a good'un..
  • so after the fun and games with the starboard cockpit locker lid [clicky] in spring last year, I was putting some stuff away in the port cockpit locker and I noticed that it looked like the paint was lifting on the inside..  picked it off, and found it was the epoxy coming away, and the corner was like a sponge..   double buggeration...  two coats of epoxy makes no difference when clearly the ply I am using is utter cr*p...  I'll replace it, the new one is made and sized..  I'll paint it and expect a season out of it before I replace again, but next time with either plastic board, or proper marine play if I can find a dealer..
  • outboard pad has lasted two years and completely delaminated... stripped it off, and have made another (same applies as per locker lid)
  • The antifouling is done!  From this :



    ..too this:


Boats look the dog's nadgers with dark blue anti foul...

No comments:

Post a Comment