Friday 4 June 2021

More jobs being done.. and a launch date..

...the annual bodge'fest that is the job list on Sparrow continues...  

First on the list was a club duty - we're a self help club, and I've taken it upon myself to maintain the tender pen we have on the Chichester harbour side (where I keep my tender - so I'm not entirely without interest) - the grass in the pen was up to my waist at least (small exaggeration) but an hour and a half with a strimmer later and it was up to my ankles..  I'd also discovered at least three Japanese soldiers waiting for the end of the war to surrender, and sent them to the pub.. 
 
Time for a beer and to contemplate the next job - and I apologise wholeheartedly for the lack of pictures - you're just going to have to believe me..
  • she was filthy, utterly green, for shame..  she is no longer...  long session with a broom, a hose, and a couple of litres of car wax/wash and she looked 100% better
  • we've have had some monumental rain since the last session on the boat, and the fix to the screws holding the grab rail is confirmed as a good'un..no water ingress - in fact despite the torrential nature of it, no ingress at all
  • so after the fun and games with the starboard cockpit locker lid [clicky] in spring last year, the new port side one is made and sized.. it's got a couple of coats of epoxy primer, and two or three coats of exterior white..  I have no expectation it will last much beyond the first decent rain but it's better than the one that is there and delaminating, and this summer as COVID eases and stock levels begin to recover I will be ordering some Stokbord (a recycled plastic sheeting product) to replace both cockpit lids permanently..
  • the outboard pad lasted two years before it delaminated... the new one is fitted..  this will be another candidate for the Stokbord when I get it
  • I also gave it a wash down with Oxalic acid to remove the brown stains on the water line, and also some old rust stain residue - the stuff is amazing, staining disappears almost before your eyes:


    ...and after..


  •  I have a launch date of  10th June (if the weather stays good) - before that I have a few last jobs I need to get done while I still have access to power and water:

    1. A light sand and a coat of varnish on the grab rails
    2. Fit the cockpit locker lid 
    3. Fit the replacement windex indicator
    4. A retaining clip for the auto pilot ram for when it's not in use (was driving me mad the year before last)
    5. Time for a tender trip out to the mooring to fit the top tackle and check it out

2 comments:

  1. Nothing quite as reassuring as a clean boat with a fresh coat of anti fouling paint on the bottom - summer and sailing on the way.
    I hoped you checked the Japanese soldiers quarters in the grass for a stolen outboard?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alden, you're right... been a curiously slow and stuttering start for me, but I'm looking forward to launch now...

      Delete